For Emergency Responders
Having access to a MedicAlert 'Break Glass Device' in an emergency situation can help speed up diagnosis and treatment. The MedicAlert bracelet or necklace linked to information services is that 'Break Glass Device'.
On the Scene
- Check if the patient is wearing MedicAlert® ID - on the wrist or around the neck.
- If the patient is unresponsive and is a MedicAlert member, medical personnel or lay people can access the member’s medical information that is engraved on the back of the MedicAlert bracelet/necklace.
- Additional information can be found on the individual’s membership card (which may be kept in their wallet, purse or pocket).
Using the Hotline
When more information (additional allergies or medication, personal and emergency contacts) is needed, the Hotline can be easily accessed:
- Make a collect call (to ensure worldwide access) to the 24-hour MedicAlert Emergency Hotline. The number is listed on the back of the member’s bracelet or necklace.
- Identify yourself, explain the situation and outline the information needed.
- Our MedicAlert Hotline representative will verify your caller identification
- The member’s vital information for treatment and emergency contacts will be relayed.